Starting Salary £31334 - £51113, depending on experience
We currently have an exciting opportunity as a consequence of the expansion in our drug discovery portfolio. If you are a highly skilled, enthusiastic individual who takes an innovative and proactive approach to research challenges, then we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for an experienced, talented and motivated Medicinal Chemist who will take a lead role in our drug discovery projects. The ideal candidate should have extensive hands-on experience of synthetic organic chemistry and significant medicinal chemistry design expertise, along with excellent problem solving skills. Our research laboratory is equipped with state of the art equipment including, NMR spectrometers to support medicinal chemistry (Bruker AVANCE NEO 400) and for fragment screening and protein NMR (Bruker AVANCE NEO 600 with a cryo probe) work.
Playing a lead role in our drug discovery projects, you will work collaboratively with all teams (biophysicists, protein scientists, crystallographers, biologists and chemists) at the Beatson and wider CRUK network to help formulate innovative and forward thinking approaches towards tackling exciting and challenging drug target classes.
The role requires you to develop and use your skills to lead the design of molecules as well as contributing practically to their synthesis, ensuring our drug discovery projects progress through towards clinical candidate nomination. In addition, you will act as a lead chemist, coordinating & prioritising the work of either internal or external (CRO) chemists working on the same project. The high quality compounds and design hypothesis that you produce will be critical, helping teams form an understanding of both the mechanism of action of our molecules and the target biology.
In addition, you will contribute to the development of the medicinal chemistry discipline by identifying and driving improvements and innovations that advance our drug discovery projects.
• Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Biology or Medicinal Chemistry and 5+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech or not-for-profit drug discovery setting; or, an MSc/BSc in Chemistry, Chemical Biology or Medicinal Chemistry and 8+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech or not-for-profit drug discovery setting.
Skills & Experience:
• Experience in leading external &/or internal chemistry resource
• Experience of working and leading on medicinal chemistry-based projects from hit identification through to lead optimisation
• Experience in the analysis and interpretation of data from a range of assays (biophysics, biochemical, cell, in-vivo)
• Demonstrable expertise in the practical and theoretical aspects of synthetic chemistry, with experience in synthesis, purification and analytical characterisation (LCMS & NMR)
• Up to date knowledge of the chemical literature
• Experienced in the application of medicinal chemistry design principles and the influence of physicochemical properties
• The use of structure-based design techniques and the influence of biophysical data
• A strong understanding of related drug discovery disciplines (biophysics, structural biology, pharmacology, ADME, formulation, drug safety/toxicology, IP)
• Dynamic personality with a passion for innovation and problem-solving
• Excellent communication with a collaborative approach to science with strong interpersonal skills, including experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
In return, we offer an inspiring, supportive and multi-disciplinary environment in a state-of-the-art, purpose built laboratory in which to further enhance your skills and knowledge of medicinal chemistry, structural sciences, biophysics, cancer biology and drug discovery; providing you the opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of cancer patients.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be addressed to Dr Justin Bower; email@example.com (Joint Head of Beatson Drug Discovery Unit)
Closing date for applications is 9th August, 2019.