Salary Range £37268 to £63917, depending on experience
The Drug Discovery Unit at the CRUK Beatson Institute in Glasgow, is a Cancer Research UK funded group of industry experienced and specialist academic scientists engaged in Biology, Chemistry and Structural Biology. The aim of the Unit is to work closely with local cancer experts to maximise the opportunity to develop new and innovative therapies that strike at the core of cancer pathology. Using state of the art screening, advanced structural biology, industry standard medicinal chemistry and complex biological modelling systems, the Drug Discovery group at the Beatson is tackling some of the most challenging targets in cancer biology today.
An opportunity has arisen to appoint a senior protein scientist to lead our recombinant protein production team. We are looking for someone with significant expertise including the ability to work independently and overcome hurdles to generate high quality proteins for multiple assay systems. You will have worked in industry or in an established and productive academic setting, and have a track record of effective line management. Evidence of experience and productivity in broad aspects of challenging protein production is required. The role will involve working as part of a multidisciplinary team, with chemists, biophysicists and biologists. You will lead a team to establish and maintain robust protein production systems that supply proteins to critical downstream technologies in support of our structure based drug design and broader drug discovery work.
Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. and extensive post-doctoral experience in intensive recombinant protein production.
- Proven and demonstrated ability to deliver high quality recombinant proteins to a diverse range of downstream applications, including advanced biophysics and protein crystallography.
- A track-record of leading a team in both problem solving and process innovation.
- Expert level competencies in bacterial and other expression systems, and in protein purification using the ÄKTA/Unicorn platform.
- Additional experience within the pharmaceutical industry or an equivalent translational research environment would be an advantage.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be addressed to Dr Justin Bower; email@example.com (Joint Head of Beatson Drug Discovery Unit).
Closing date for applications is Friday 27th September 2019